NorCal Trains :  TrainFoamers TrainFoamers.com
See something in the area north of Bakersfield? Share pictures and tall tales here. 
A few recent Cajon pictures
Date: December 20, 2012 12:33PM

Thought I'd share some pictures from two recent trips to Cajon Pass...

A pair of BNSF ES44DC GEVOs work passed Hill 582 with an empty ethanol train tied to the drawbar (11/23/2012):

The sound of full dynamics fill the air as BNSF 7742 and a brace of "California" GEVOs ease westbound tonnage down the Cajon Grade at Pine Lodge (11/23/2012):

It's sometimes easy to forget that the curve that owes its name to the well noted photographer Herb Sullivan is not the curve we see trains doing battle with today. However one can still see the cut were the original Sullivan's curve once passed through as it gained elevation out of old Cajon station. Even with the addition of the 3rd main track to Cajon Pass a few years ago the old alignment still survives on the inside of both curves we see there today. BNSF 7422 and 4 fellow GE motors work to drag a lengthy eastbound stack train up the 2.2% grade found on mains 1 & 2. Just above the 7422 is the original Sullivan's curve alignment. This area is one of my favorite places to spend time on Cajon, morning or afternoon there are always great angles to be had (11/23/2012):

Wes Pac vs. the Cajon grade..... UP 1983 adorned in heritage colors of the Western Pacific railroad is the lead motor on UP's eastbound MWCNP-15 (West Colton, CA to North Platte, NE; manifest). The MWCNP is conforming to the curves on main track 1 that swings trains through the old station of Alray as they gain elevation on Cajon's western slope. UP 1983 will soon enter a large cut were tunnel 1 once stood, tunnel 1 and tunnel 2 were daylighted during a triple tracking project leaving only a large cut in the earth where they once stood. A fresh dusting of powder tops off the San Gabriel mountains off in the distance (12/15/2012):

Sparkling clean BNSF ES44C4 7076 drifts down the western slope of Cajon Pass on the head of the 2012 edition of BNSF's Southern California Division Christmas train. The special is on the return leg of its first round trip run up to Cajon Summit, a trip which originated at the old Santa Fe passenger station in San Bernardino, CA. On the opposite end of the train is equally clean ES44C4 7084, both C4s are decked out for their special Christmas train duties (12/15/2012):

Thanks for looking,
~Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A few recent Cajon pictures
Posted by: BIG BNSF ()
Date: December 20, 2012 03:56PM

Really nice photos.. All are nice but I would have to say I like the last two photos best...Nice work again.

BiG BNSF

Posted by: UP4526 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 12:38AM

Hi Ryan ,

Nice Photo's , Looks like we where up there on 12-15 as I got WP#1983 And BNSF #7076 at Hill 582 .

Dave Dodds
UPHS Member #3282
WPRM Life Member #361
San Dimas CA smiling smiley

Trainfoamers.com.... Where it's free to talk trains again.

Posted by: Snuffy ()
Date: December 21, 2012 06:08PM

Great images, Ryan.

Happy Holidays,
Snuffy

[picasaweb.google.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Snuffy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.