The Good Ol' Days :  TrainFoamers TrainFoamers.com
Still waiting for that Black Widow F-unit to come around the bend? Think things are "all crap now?" This is the forum for you! 
Another Rail Served Industrial Complex In Buckeye
Posted by: Railroadfan92675 ()
Date: November 15, 2012 11:57AM

Signs recently went up next to the Walmart distribution center at the corner of Watson Road and Southern Avenue in Buckeye for another rail served industrial complex, plans call for buildings that range from 200,000 SF up to 1.5 million SF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Rail Served Industrial Complex In Buckeye
Posted by: BarstowRick ()
Date: November 15, 2012 11:09PM

And.......

Posted by: BIG BNSF ()
Date: November 15, 2012 11:29PM

( HA HA HA HA HA ) That was a good one rick.......

What color was the sign???? Did it have a choo choo on it........??? Was the wal-mart a super center or just a regular wal-mart......??? Did you get a picture of the wal-mart.????? Are you sure it was not 300,000SF and up 2.5 million square feet....

This is why we have a extra board room !!!!!!!!!!!!!! For news reporters

BiG BNSF

Posted by: srjeff1 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 12:07PM

Gee, I didn't know we had to have your permission to post on this website.

Date: November 16, 2012 12:21PM

Aw, geez now the cousins are at it again.

Nothing like a rowdy family reunion. Heeheehee

And...what else can you tell me about the project?

Date: November 16, 2012 12:45PM

Nothing yet. That's Railroadfan's beat out there. I just like to get the news, that's all.

Date: November 16, 2012 02:32PM

Ok, appreciated.

Posted by: BIG BNSF ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:52PM

SRJEFF,

No one said you had to have permission, I just pointed out where it would fit better, And ask some questions maybe I want to go shopping there sometime.

Rick,

I am going to slap you ( HA HA HA )

BiG BNSF

Date: November 16, 2012 05:38PM

Yeah my turf is from Buckeye to deep into the out of service trackage unless anyone closer wants to report on it. There is a saguaro cactus there so I think it fits better here instead of the Extra Boards and will continue posting those things here because those are all over the place out here. To answer one of your questions, the Walmart is neither a regular Walmart or a Super Walmart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2012 05:39PM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: November 17, 2012 11:32AM

Rick, many of us railfans that live here in the West Valley (not to be confused with the west end) think these kind of projects are small pieces of the puzzle that would possibly push the railroad to open the over 50 miles of out of service track (the west end) that was put out of service in 1996.

Since 1996 the railroad have never filed papers with the STB to abandon the track. Back then, the Phoenix was a much smaller area without much need for freight traffic. When freight comes from the west coast it has to travel somewhere between 225-250 extra miles just to get to Phoenix since the tracks were put OOS. Trains often have to sit at Picacho for awhile to get authority to come up the approx. 70 miles of mostly single track Phoenix sub into Phoenix. Most of the freight traffic that comes into Phoenix is destined for the west valley which adds additional miles to the 225-250. The State of Arizona and the Arizona Department of Transportation among others would like to see the OOS trackage put back in service for various reasons that include freeing up many grade crossings in the east valley.

For the past few years Union Pacific has been buying land parcels in Buckeye when they become available and leasing them back to farmers until the railroad needs the land. We never knew how much or where the UP owned was and there are rumors floating around that UP wants to build a small classification yard on the west side of Buckeye. Within the past couple of years, the railroad has been putting a lot of money in the trackage out here including tracks the only see maybe 2-3 trains a year and that is just a local.

Earlier this year a large grain operation opened West of Buckeye and UP brings in grain shuttles of 100 railcars of corn for cattle feed and work is almost complete at an egg ranch and looking at that, I think we'll see another long grain train with chicken feed (Hickman's Egg Ranch & Fertilizer plant) before the end of the year.

When the economy took a dump, the Town of Buckeye rezoned quite a bit of its undeveloped land from residential to commercial and really trying to attract business and offering good incentives to do so.

In the big picture, the Canamex Corridor will be very close to here so it makes sense for Union Pacific to build a yard here and with Buckeye attracting rail served industrial complexes and UP spending a bunch of money on land and the little used rails, railfans around here are interesting in hearing these little kind of things so they can fit another piece into the puzzle. There is a lot more going on we haven't mentioned yet. It is beginning to make more and more sense to put the tracks back in service.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 11:44AM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: November 17, 2012 01:50PM

Railroadfan92675,

Now that is a significant "And".

Like you, I have watched that rail line from my side of the tracks. The last trains over it were Amtrash and I think that came to an end when some green weanie extremist activist sabotaged the tracks. Statement unproven but I suspect it's true. Seems to me TO reported some freights having passed through on slow orders and there may have been a working local out there from the CA/AZ west end serving a mine. Mine's name, unknown to me. Last I heard it was closed.

I'd like to see the old line open again and serving both passenger and rail service on a regular basis. Seems to me, when I was a kid I remember talk of a rail line that would've connected Tucumcari to Phoenix. IMSMC Rock Island was behind this. They ended up connecting with the SP at El Paso or was that Las Cruces? "And" the rest is history.

BigBNSF,

Toucha my face I brake your nose. Or is that, You toucha my layout and I cut off your hand. No, I think it's, slap me and I will sweep you into a pit you can't get out of. Heeheehee

Now get back to your tractor. It misses you! Are you still working with a two horse team or have they let you graduate to a motorized contraption? col

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 02:05PM by BarstowRick.

Date: November 17, 2012 02:54PM

The impetus to embargo the line was when ATK rerouted the Sunset Ltd to the TUC-YMA segment for (as I recall) cost savings. The derailment might have played a part, but it was relatively insignificant. That occurred in 10/95, and the line was closed around 6/96. However, as Railroadfan has noted, there are small but encouraging signs, re: a partial re-signalling, bridge work, etc., along with the strategic importance of such a direct line to PHX.

Another factor is using this property for a high-speed line between the LA Basin and PHX. This might be part of UP's strategy, i.e., to hold the line hostage and enhance its value in the eyes of the state/feds.

Date: November 19, 2012 10:56AM

It's not likely to be anything we see soon.

I can go off on high speed rail, in a flash. I do believe it needs to be sponsored by the private sector and not the government. Sounding off further, I don't need to pay anymore taxes...period.

Anyway, before I start a political rant and get blown off this website.

I would think airflight between L.A.X and P.X. would be more efficent.

Still, I'd like to see it opened for all purpose freights and perhaps Amtrash trains between L.A. and Phoenix. We shall wait and see what UP's CFO thinks is best.

I don't live in the world of Fantasy or Denial and see things for what they are. A "Realist"... If you get my drift.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.