The Good Ol' Days :  TrainFoamers TrainFoamers.com
Still waiting for that Black Widow F-unit to come around the bend? Think things are "all crap now?" This is the forum for you! 
Another stop added for the LKK48
Posted by: Railroadfan92675 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:15PM

The LKK48 (Buckeye Local) has a new stop added to the West End of its run on the Phoenix Sub, the new old stop is known as "Dixie", the customer is Hickman's Egg Ranch. Other than the old Packing House, does anybody know any rail history about Dixie? Did Southern Pacific have an MOW station there at one time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 12:16PM by Railroadfan92675.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another stop added for the LKK48
Posted by: srjeff1 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 07:34PM

According to my 1952 employee timetable, Dixie was just another station, no water for trains listed, although there is a well west of there. Not even a flag stop for a local. Dixie did have a packing house as you noted, & I believe it was mostly citrus, currently is some sort of green energy outfit. Notice there is a double spur still in place (last time I looked), and loading docks. They must have shipped quite a bit out of there, would require quite a bit of work for a local or whatever.

Arlington wasn't far away, and that was a m/w camp. Dixie was notable for having one of the last lit semaphores on the line. ONly disappeared maybe 4 years ago.

They keep adding stuff out there we're gonna have a real railroad one of these days.

Posted by: BarstowRick ()
Date: November 26, 2012 09:53PM

I hope so!

Date: November 27, 2012 02:22PM

It may be time to get out there a lot of "before" pictures of the area. With the work they did out there earlier this year, they did not take out the switch for the double spur.

Rick, did you use to live in AZ? , if so, where abouts?

Posted by: srjeff1 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 05:06PM

Agreed. I am up for a trip in January. Anyone else have a 4wd to go?

Posted by: BarstowRick ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:05PM

Railroadfan92675 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick, did you use to live in AZ? , if so, where
> abouts?

My interest in Arizona and the old Phoenix line is inherited. My mom's parents lived in Phoenix and I spent some summers there working for my granddad. Nothing to do with the railroads but always with an eye on what was going on.

The last time I was through Phoneix, it had changed substantially. I'd like to see before and after photos of the old line. The sentimental fool that I'am would like to see the line restored and open to trains destined for Phoneix. Perhaps run throughs from L.A. to Phoneix. Never mind Amtrash, back on schedule and stopping in Phoenix.

What I don't have is information with regards to the old Phoenix SP yards and whether or not trains could be recieved there. Kind of under the impression the Phoenix work is being done by pre-switched locals. No fun in that. Grin!

Does that answer your question?

Date: November 29, 2012 11:00AM

I don't understand the term pre-switched locals, what do you mean? I do hear the yard jobs on the radio building trains and moving things around.

They refer to 2 yards in Phoenix, there is the bigger yard on 7th street just across the street from the Arizona Diamondbacks ballpark. About a mile or so west of that is Union Station, about a block or so west is Alice Cooper's Coopertown, about a mile west of that is the Campo Yard. I don't know if you remember the old Santa Fe Freight House on Washington st? The county of Maricopa has refurbished it to county offices but kept the railroad style motiff. I believe they left the Santa Fe logos on the building, on one of the walls inside is a copy of a deed from many years ago with Santa Fe's name on it.

Phoenix is really not my turf, I try to leave that up to anyone that lives closer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.