The Good Ol' Days :  TrainFoamers TrainFoamers.com
Still waiting for that Black Widow F-unit to come around the bend? Think things are "all crap now?" This is the forum for you! 
More new signals on the WV line
Posted by: srjeff1 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 05:54AM

Crossed the tracks at the MC85 grade crossing on Sunday, noticed new signals in place, not yet in service.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More new signals on the WV line
Posted by: Railroadfan92675 ()
Date: February 01, 2013 09:30AM

Do you mean AZ85 that goes to gila bend instead of MC85?. The latest and greatest LED signal technology at the crossing at AZ 85 is the most recent installed. Just west of AZ85 is Turner, Palo Verde and Johnson rds, each of them is 1 mile apart and has the same type of signal at the grade crossing. They are going to Micro-Lock the subdivision whatever that means, these signals are a lot closer together than the old ones were. I drove from Buckeye to Cashion on MC85 and did not see any new signal work along the way, everything so far is west of Buckeye. There has been no recent radio communications coming from within the out of sewrvice trackage. Rumor has it that they are going to bring the railcars back in that are still out there in storage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 09:31AM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: February 02, 2013 06:23PM

I guess we will just have to wait & see for this latest development, but it is no small or cheap thing to re-signal the line. BTW, did you get permission to post these comments on the WV line?

Date: February 03, 2013 09:44AM

Naw, Did I need to ask permission from somebody here? Money was allocated in the budget. It was listed in a news release how much the railroad was going to spend in AZ. According to a document I found online, Micro lock has/is a protocal for signalling/communication/safety but the document was to technical for me to understand. They want to be able to run trains at 40 MPH which they can't do right now. I'm thinking because of the 100 car grain shuttles or dedicated grain trains that are now coming, it might have something to do with it. From what I visually see, the current speed limit seems to be about 20 MPH or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 09:52AM by Railroadfan92675.

Posted by: techcntr ()
Date: February 04, 2013 07:38PM

Please provide links to the "news release" and the "doucument found online".

TIA

Date: February 05, 2013 10:51AM

I don't have the links or documents simply because I had no desire to keep them, however I am looking for ZTS books and for historical reasons I'm looking for the Condensed Track Profile Chart of Arizona if anybody has them.

My information is not very recent, The News/press release came out back around the time the last years budget was approved. Quite a bit of money allocated for infrastructure in the the state was dedicated to the Gila Sub and some of it was also going for work on the Phoenix Sub, but I don't know what the portions were. I think my info may have came from either AZDOT, M.A.G. or the Southwest Valley Rail Partnership meetings.

When I first heard the term Micro lock I researched it online and found out it is manufacturered by one of the companies that currently sells signal systems to the Class 1 Railroads.

Posted by: karldotcom ()
Date: February 06, 2013 10:56AM

Can someone drive out and take some pictures of these new signals? Is MococoMike still around?

I looked up Micro Lok 2 and it looks like a computer based signalling system....if they are shortening the blocks then I imagine it is so more than one local can work at a time... Are there still six locals that work out of the UP Phoenix yard?

<b>Trainfoamers.com....it's free to talk trains again.</b>

Posted by: Hulka ()
Date: February 06, 2013 04:27PM

On Tuesday I saw a mixed freight heading West. It had a maroon unit on it from a leasing company. CULX I think were the markings on it. It went over the crossing at 35th ave at about 0710 hours. I have noticed lately that there seems to be a lot more traffic going over the line that way. I have also noticed in sections that they have new ballast down and I also noticed at 51st Ave they put in a new siding just West of 51st ave. I want to say 67 or 75th Aves I noticed a bunch of pre made track sections piled up on the side of the ROW.

Kevin

Date: February 07, 2013 11:41AM

One big reason for the new signals is less maintenance and a lot less electricity used.

Its puzzling but there is only one local LKK48 (Buckeye East) that runs in the area of shortened blocks and it may only go there maybe 2-3 times a week at best.

The LKK49 (Buckeye West) no longer runs from Phoenix-Buckeye, it runs from Phoenix-Tolleson which I believe is where Hulka mentioned around 67-75 ave., so they could be putting in new rail to keep more cars at. The LKK49 sets out cars that are destined to go west and does its other scheduled work in Tolleson and returns to Phoenix, The LKK48 runs from Buckeye to Tolleson, picks up what the LKK49 set out and brings it back to customers in Litchfield Park, Buckeye and Dixie.

What used to average about 5 railcars (sometimes light power) coming into Buckeye now mostly averages about 15 cars, it is not unsual see 25-30 railcars come in on the local now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 12:23PM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: February 07, 2013 12:07PM

The UP Phoenix Subdivision does not have ATCS, everything is track warrant, it is not unusual for warrants to be denied because too many of them are already out.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the locals in the east Valley, I mainly stay in the West Valley. I think most of these are still good.

LKK10 = Phoenix - Pipeola - Phoenix
LKK21 = Phoenix - Tempe - Mesa - West Chandler - Phoenix
LKK30 = Mesa - Chandler - Mesa
LKK48 = Buckeye - Tolleson - Buckeye
LKK49 = Phoenix -Tolleson - Phoenix
LKL63 = Casa Grande - Cow Town - Eloy - Casa Grande
LKL72 = Tucson - Casa Grande
LKT71 = Phoenix - Tucson
MPXTU = Phoenix - Tucson
LKT72 = Tucson - Phoenix
MTUPX = Tucson - Phoenix
YPX11R = Phoenix Yard Job
YPX12R = Phoenix Yard Job
YPX25R = Phoenix Yard Job
YPX40R = Phoenix Yard Job
YPX70 = Campo - Phoenix - Campo
YPX75 = Campo - Phoenix - Campo
YPX78 = Campo - Phoenix
YPX78B = Phoenix - Campo

Add anything BNSF may bring in.

There is no longer a manifest train from West Colton - Phoenix or vice versa.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 12:36PM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: February 07, 2013 02:11PM

I have not listened to them in a while but what channel are they on. The only time I ever hear anything is when I go by the Phoenix yard down town. I thought everything going west of Phoenix was done off the signals.

Kevin

Date: February 08, 2013 10:15AM

Signals are in use from Phoenix to Buckeye, The last westbound operating signal I see working in Buckeye is always red, I've never seen any working west of that signal.

What frequency are you hearing?

The most active RR channels on my scanner are (listed in order of activity):

160.320mhz UP Gila Sub.
160.785mhz UP Phoenix Sub Road Channel from near Picacho to west of Buckeye.
161.100mhz UP Phoenix Yard Channel (no repeater)
160.230mhz UP Sometimes used as alternate channel for various needs
160.650mhz BNSF (weak signal, repeater unknown)
160.860mhz Arizona & California Railroad (Parker Base), Repeater is on Smith Peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2013 10:16AM by Railroadfan92675.

Posted by: ble692 ()
Date: February 09, 2013 10:20PM

Railroadfan92675 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Signals are in use from Phoenix to Buckeye, The
> last westbound operating signal I see working in
> Buckeye is always red, I've never seen any working
> west of that signal.

Although there are signals out there, they are just ABS signals, which only convey track occupancy, not main track authority. The actual authority to occupy the main track (see GCOR rule 6.3) comes in three forms on the Phoenix Sub.

TWC (Track Warrants):
Two different stretches of track. One is between mileposts 802.8 and 899.0, and the other is between mileposts 908.7 and 962.4.

Yard Limits:
Between mileposts 899.0 and 908.7.

CTC (Centralized Traffic Control):
Between CP PX962 Coolidge at milepost 962.4 and CP PX979 Picacho Wye at milepost 979.3. This is the only portion of the Phoenix Sub where the signals actually convey main track authority.

Date: February 10, 2013 08:01AM

Good info from one and all. It has been years since there has been anything but guessing about this line. Thanks expecially to Railroadfan and ble692 for good information.

Date: February 10, 2013 01:01PM

Railroadfan92675 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What frequency are you hearing?

I have them all in my scanner, as in 1-99. I have the local ones labeled, both UP & BNSF but only hear the UP stuff when I get close to the yard. Maybe my scanner is dying as it is a Pro-96 that I bought in '04.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Kevin

Date: February 10, 2013 04:28PM

New scanner time Hulka: Feed the economy with my permission.

Date: February 11, 2013 05:47PM

I need to get the money first, that is the only problem right now. sad smiley

Kevin

Date: February 11, 2013 07:26PM

When you're ready, go to amazon.com. They have fantastic deals. If you sign up for amazon prime, it's FREE shipping.

Date: February 14, 2013 03:59PM

Thank you sir!

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.