The Good Ol' Days :  TrainFoamers TrainFoamers.com
Still waiting for that Black Widow F-unit to come around the bend? Think things are "all crap now?" This is the forum for you! 
Las Vegas run
Posted by: srjeff1 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 04:23PM

I'm going from Phoenix to Las Vegas next weekend, Phoenix to Kingman and then west--a trip which railfanning on the way will serve to save my sanity--and where shd I go to see some good action? I will have all day Friday to run there, and all day Sunday to return. Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Las Vegas run
Posted by: ajncorrie ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:01PM

Well, I've only been to Kingman once, and spent a few hours in the canyon there. Seemed pretty decent enough. Probably could just as well hang out by the restored depot in town.. What is it, the 3759 ...?? sits in a park there too...
Another option , Needles isn't too far of west from there, that way, you could just drive up 95 to Vegas...
Enjoy the trip...
Not sure if I helped any...

A.J.
Kingston TN

Date: February 25, 2013 06:32PM

Always thankful AJ. Thanks.

Posted by: Railroadfan92675 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 10:50AM

The city of Needles is refurbishing the Harvey House, in May of 2012 it was just an empty shell. That is also a crew change for BNSF. The Amtrak stop is a couple hundred feet east of the Harvey House.

Don't buy Gasoline in Needles or California if you don't have to. Last May it was $4.95 a gallon in Needles, Many Needles residents cross the river into Arizona to buy gas, it was about a buck cheaper a gallon.

In Kingman on Andy Devine Blvd (Route 66), about 3-4 miles east of I-40 is an industrial complex, The Kingman Terminal Railroad has 2 switchers in their own paint scheme that operates on about 4 miles of track.

The shortest route for me to Needles is through Parker, if you take that route you can railfan the Arizona & California RR. Check you GPS.

I'm going to Las Vegas on 3-12 for a trade show. I'm going out the 60 to the 93 through Kingman into Vegas. Coming back I'm taking the 95 from Boulder City to Needles and into Parker. You can stop at the Train Museum in Boulder City if you have never been there before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 10:51AM by Railroadfan92675.

Date: February 26, 2013 05:05PM

Thanks! I haven't been to LV in forever, never railfanned the place. Wd like to see the downtown old depot too. If I didn't have to go, I would not, but this is a family situation. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.